Thursday, November 29, 2012

Interview w/ Cecy Robson and a 5 star review for The Weird Girls!




AUTHOR BIO:


Cecy (pronounced Sessy) Robson is an author with Penguin's SIGNET ECLIPSE. She attributes her passion for story-telling back to the rough New Jersey neighborhood she was raised in. As a child, she was rarely allowed to leave the safety of her house and passed her time fantasizing about flying, fairies, and things that go bump in the night. Her dad unwittingly encouraged Cecy's creativity by kissing her goodnight wearing vampire fangs. Gifted and cursed with an overactive imagination, she began writing her Urban Fantasy Romance Series, Weird Girls, in May 2009. THE WEIRD GIRLS: A Novella, debuts December 4, 2012 followed by SEALED WITH A CURSE, December 31, 2012, and A CURSE EMBRACED, July 2, 2013.


LINKS:

Website:          www.cecyrobson.com
Twitter:           https://twitter.com/cecyrobson




THE WEIRD GIRLS

Celia Wird and her three sisters are just like other 20-something girls—with one tiny exception: they're products of a backfired curse that has given each of them unique powers that make them, well, a little weird… 

The Wird sisters are different from every race on earth—human and supernatural. When human society is no longer an option for them, they move in among the resident vampires, werebeasts, and witches of the Lake Tahoe region. Could this be the true home they’ve longed for? Um, not quite. After the sisters accidentally strip a witch of her powers in a bar brawl, they soon realize the mistake will cost them. Because to take on a witch means to take on her coven. And losing the battle isn’t an option.

Includes a preview of the first full-length novel in the Weird Girls series, Sealed with a Curse—as well as introductions to the Weird World, and a letter from the author.
Available for pre-order:  Amazon  ~ Barnes & Noble

My interview with Cecy 


Emmy:  Hey Cecy!  Thanks for this opportunity!

Cecy:  Hi, Emmy! Thank you for the opportunity to be on your blog. : D

Emmy:  Your father used to tell you stories growing up.  Have you always been surrounded by creative people?  People not afraid to let their imagination run wild?

Cecy:  My father told me lots of stories, he still does.  I didn’t understand then why he just didn’t read to me.  It took me a long time to realize it was because he couldn’t.  My father was illiterate most of his life. He continues to struggle with reading even small words.  But because of it, and his need to entertain his children, he was very creative and helped trigger my imagination.


Emmy:  You mention on your website that you had an active imagination growing up, were you writing then?  What TV shows or books sparked your imagination growing up?

Cecy:  I started writing May 1, 2009. I spent my childhood “pretending” a lot when I played with my toys and friends.  Anything and everything I read or saw sparked my creativity, but I was especially drawn to Marvel comics.  Super powers fascinated me—they still do.  Even now I still wish I could fly.

Emmy:  Do you have any siblings?

Cecy:  I have a brother named, Douglas.  We’re very close.

Emmy:  The novella was fantastic and a great introduction into a world I can't wait to read more about!  Such a unique twist on how they came into their powers...

Cecy:  Thank you. Since my girls are 1/2 Latina, and I’m 100%, I had to incorporate my heritage. What a better way than a curse? I swear the majority of Latinos are über superstitious—like me!

Emmy:  Did you write the prequel novella before or after Sealed With A Curse?

Cecy:  I wrote it after.  In April my editor offered me a contract for the novella.  I was hesitant to do it because I wasn’t sure if I had enough time since I was swamped writing book 2, A CURSED EMBRACE.  My agent, Nicole, and my husband, Jamie, believed I could and encouraged me to do it.  I cranked it out in about two weeks.  I have to say I love how it turned out and it’s one of my favorite projects.

Emmy:  Which of the Wird sisters do you relate to most?

Cecy:  I relate to all of them for different reasons—from Shayna’s perkiness to Taran’s inappropriateness and likewise Emme’s shyness and Celia’s awkwardness and emotional strength.

Emmy:  So since 2009, what is the total count for re-writes/edits for the release of Sealed With A Curse?

Cecy:  Hmmm. That’s hard to say. Sealed with a Curse was developed from my original Weird Girls novel.  That first novel underwent at least 14 revisions.  When it went out on submission through my agent, my current editor, Jhanteigh, felt too much happened.  She asked me to take the first three chapters and make that my new Book 1.  Hence Sealed with a Curse was born.  I believe I did four revisions with my agent before it was resubmitted to Jhanteigh.  I’m grateful to Jhanteigh and Nicole, it’s a much stronger book and so is A CURSED EMBRACE—the remaining story of the original Weird Girls novel.

Emmy:  Paranormal creatures can be all kinds of sexy to all kinds of scary.  What creature would you most be afraid to run into in the middle of the night?  And which one would consider running to?

Cecy:  I’m scared senseless of the Headless Horseman.  There, I said it.  I’d definitely run into a big, strapping werewolf’s arms.  I have a soft spot for the lupines. ; D

Emmy:  How many books are planned for the series?  Will there be spin-offs or novellas for the sisters?

Cecy:  Currently Celia has four books and about three more coming. I’m currently brainstorming novels for Taran and Emme.  I already have two novellas written for Bren, Celia’s werewolf buddy, but both need to be lengthened.  I also have a novella for Taran.  It involves her meeting her lover’s ultraconservative parents. Let’s just say they aren’t taken by her “charm.”  There are also three spin-offs in the works.  Whew, I have A LOT of work to do.

Emmy:  What is your writing ritual like?  Music?  Certain drinks?  Candles?  Etc?  What helps you get in the creative mindset?

Cecy:  I use music to set the mood for a scene and help me work through it in my head.  When I actually sit down to write it, though, I need completely quiet in order to focus.  I also need a lot to drink since I’m sitting for hours.  Usually I have green tea and water on hand.


Emmy:  If you were stuck in the Twilight Zone and had to repeat the same day over and over, what album, book and drink would you have everyday and where would you be?

Cecy:  Oh, what a great question.  I’d have to say my butt would be seated at my favorite seafood restaurant with my husband and children while Springsteen’s live album 75-85 playing overhead.  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows or Jim Butcher’s CHANGES would be next to my menu, and, as boring as it sounds, I’d be pounding water. I think being stuck in the Twilight Zone would make me thirsty.

Emmy:  Thanks Cecy! I hope these aren't repeating questions you've been asked  a lot already. I imagine a few are though.

Cecy:  Thank you, Emmy!  You’ve been incredibly cool to get to know.


The Weird Girls

By Cecy Robson

5 out of 5 STARS

Available December 4th, 2012


I knew I was going to love this.  I knew, even before finishing the first chapter, that this novella from the quirky and charming Cecy Robson was going to be unique and witty.

The Wird sisters consist of four very different women.  Celia is the "lead" sister.  I say lead because not only is this series told from her point of view, but she has the cold calculating demeanor of a tiger.  Oh wait, she can totally turn into one and I wouldn't mess with her if my life depended on it!  Shayna and Taran are both sassy in different ways and quite entertaining.  Emme is quiet and gentle but I can't wait to see what she might be hiding!  All wielding a different power and pretty awesome on their own, when they join forces they make one hell of a team.  The paranormal world is getting a brand new spin as we learn why they have powers and from what entities they may encounter.

The world building was fantastic.  For a novella, we aren't bogged down with too much information.  We get just enough mixed in with the fantastic plot to keep you turning the page eagerly in anticipation of what's to come.  The plot was fun.  Starting out in a bar, only craziness can ensue and craziness it is!  We are thrown into a world of witch craft and challenges as Celia, Shayna, Taran and Emme fight for their right to peace in the mystical place that is Lake Tahoe.

Some very dramatic things happen to Celia when she faces certain challenges making your heart stop, tears threaten to spill or laugh hysterically with everything that is going on.

I don't want to say too much about the plot!  I don't want to spoil anything but definitely give this series a try!  Not only is the world Cecy created unique, but the humor is fantastic and Cecy is just all kinds of awesome! She really is a sweet person and I'm so glad to have gotten the chance to know her on the internets and to read her work.  I am a fan for life now and I CANNOT WAIT to read Sealed With A Curse!  If this novella knocked my socks off, the first full length in the series is bound to kick major ass!

So what are you waiting for?  Go pre-order your copy of The Weird Girls today!  

1 comment:

Question? Comments? Dirty Jokes?
Leave 'em here!
~Emmy @ Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews