Sunday, May 13, 2012

Review: Red Fox


Red Fox (Experiment in Terror #2)

By Karina Halle

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars



With Book Two of the Experiment in Terror Series, Perry Palomino and Dex Foray trade in the stormy Oregon coast for the unforgiving deserts of New Mexico.

In the for­got­ten town of Red Fox, a Navajo cou­ple is tor­tured by things unseen and by motives unknown. Wild ani­mals slink through their house in the dark, a bar­rage of stones pound their roof nightly, and muti­lated sheep car­casses are turn­ing up on their prop­erty. Armed with a cam­era and just enough to go on, Perry and Dex travel to the des­o­late locale, hop­ing to film the super­nat­ural occur­rences and add cred­i­bil­ity to their flail­ing web­cast. Only their show has a lot more work­ing against them than just grow­ing pains. Tested by dubi­ous ranch hands, a ghost from Dex’s past, and shapeshift­ing decep­tion, the ama­teur ghost hunters must learn to trust each other in order to fight the most ancient of myths…or die trying.
(via Goodreads)


Red Fox starts off shortly after where Darkhouse ends. The pilot webisode has aired and Perry and Dex set off to Red Fox, New Mexico to investigate crazy happenings at a ranch. The couple who owns the ranch are Navajo but devout Christians so Perry and Dex have to pretend like they are married. Awkward! 

“This is cozy,” I blurted out. I turned my face away from his. 

“We could make it cozier,” he grinned, the bristles on his moustache sticking up. He seemed quite relaxed, considering what had happened earlier and considering what he had been going through.

“You’re just begging for a pillow fight, aren’t you?”

Dex is such a flirt! I seriously adore him. We learn more about Dex in this book but only a little. He is a never-ending puzzle to try to figure out. 

Perry is awesome. She really is one of my favorite characters in a book series. Little by little we learn more about her and what her "abilities" might be. I would shit my pants to experience even a sliver of the paranormal activity she comes across. She is a strong women though she may not see herself that way. We start to see that how she views herself differs from how other people see her. She is her own worst enemy.

Maximus is a new character introduced who used to be in the band Sing Sin Sinatra with Dex. He is the one who recommends the duo to investigate the activity at the farm. 

The Ranch. Oy, crazy cray cray stuff going down. How they could sleep at night there is beyond me. But it's descriptively written and so creepy. I enjoyed the plot tremendously. I love how Karina adds myths/beliefs of the Navajo culture and how it all plays out.

Overall thoughts: I was hooked on this series from book one. This second installment does not disappoint and gets 5 whole stars. I loved every minute of it: the location, the creep factor, the character growth of Perry and Dex. Miss Halle has created a wonderful series that mimics nothing I have ever read before. 

I leave you with this...

“It’s our song,” he said. He held out his hand. I took it, as if in slow motion, and let him lead me onto the dance floor. 

He put one arm around my waist, holding me snuggly against him. It was a different kind of awkward than it was with Maximus. It was a wonderful, head-spinning awkwardness that made my heart beat out of my chest and my knees turn to putty. 

He held my hand with his other one and grinned at me, our faces so intoxicatingly close that he grazed the top of my head with the felt brim of his hat. I kept my eyes on those cocoa brown orbs of his. It wasn’t hard. 

And then…then he started singing along with Joel’s voice. Softly, quietly. I was such a sucker right there and then and he knew it, that bastard. If he wasn’t holding me up, my spine would have collapsed in a warm puddle of blissed-out nerves. 

He leaned further in and sang into my ear, a deep murmur that sent shivers through me that I tried to contain. Why was he doing this to me? 

We didn’t say anything else to each other. We just moved as one, gliding through the night. It was like a telephoto shot; he was the only thing in focus. Everything else just slipped away, a blur. It was wrong in so many ways, but it felt so right. I felt whole, as stupid as that sounds. I felt like nothing else mattered but this moment right now. Fuck (view spoiler) the filming, the ranch, the show. I just needed this. I wanted this.

Please check out What the Cat Read for a special excerpt from Dex's POV from the scene mentioned above.



Get the goods and follow Karina!
Experiment in Terror
Experiment in Terror Facebook
MetalBlonde on Twitter





No comments:

Post a Comment

Question? Comments? Dirty Jokes?
Leave 'em here!
~Emmy @ Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews