Thursday, June 21, 2012

Review ~ Rogue's Pawn

Rogue's Pawn

By Jeffe Kennedy

3 STARS



July 16th, 2012 from Carina Press
ARC provided from Netgalley



This is no fairy tale…

Haunted by nightmares of a black dog, sick to death of my mind-numbing career and heart-numbing fiancĂ©, I impulsively walked out of my life—and fell into Faerie. Terrified, fascinated, I discover I possess a power I can't control: my wishes come true. After an all-too-real attack by the animal from my dreams, I wake to find myself the captive of the seductive and ruthless fae lord Rogue. In return for my rescue, he demands an extravagant price—my firstborn child, which he intends to sire himself…

With no hope of escaping this world, I must learn to harness my magic and build a new life despite the perils—including my own inexplicable and debilitating desire for Rogue. I swear I will never submit to his demands, no matter what erotic torment he subjects me to…
(via Goodreads)


Who knew that there would be such life altering consequences when Gwynn decides to walk out on her husband during a boring business party?  She quickly finds herself driving, not seeing but knowing exactly where to go.  What happens when she wakes up in the morning changes her life forever.  

After some adventure walking, she's thrown into a new world with only the clothes on her back.  She's confused and a little scared, wishing for things to make this foreign place just a little less creepy, finding that her wishes are coming true.  Things escalate pretty quickly from there as we learn be careful what you wish for.  A lone black dog, the one from her nightmares, tries to put an end to her wishful thinking.

Thrown into the world of Fae and magic, she wakes up in pain, chained and unable to speak.  Enter Rogue, 


"And call me Rogue-that's my name."  I snorted out a painful giggle and he paced into my view.  "I take it that translated oddly?  Show me a picture of what that word means to you." 
I Pictured Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean, scraped and bruised from escapades, a bottle of booze in one hand and a couple of girls in the other, wicked mischief on his face. 
Rogue laughed, then winked at me.  I found myself staring at his darkly glowing eyes. 

Gwynn is healed and headed to a party in her honor while Rogue is warning her, giving her advice on bargaining.  This is no normal party and soon Gwynn's fate is decided.

Decisions made, Gwynn starts training to hone her magical abilities.  I wish I could say this was the fun part.  This book gets dark and desolate.  Feelings of despair.  She is a tool, used in a war where strategy is done in Sheikh like tents with absurd costumes.

This book is split up into five parts, each one signifying a new direction in the story.  Rogue and Gwynn have parted ways on not so good terms but his absence is sorely missed.  He was the best part of the storyline for me and I was a little disappointed that though his name is in the title, he was hardly there.  But to be fair, he was there when it mattered most.
Rogue piled up a few pillows, smacking them to his desired brightness and arranged himself as if for viewing a show.  He peeled off his leather boots and, reaching back, he pulled the tie off his tail of hair, releasing it to spill around him.  He looked like a raven Viking, all masculine cheekbones and streaming hair, his bare feet as long and elegant as his hands. 
"Tug the skirt up higher," He suggested, "and blow me a kiss." 
"No." 
"It would be a mild flirtation and you've yet to do anything that qualifies as vaguely flirtatious." 
I tugged my skirt up a grudging inch and pursed my lips at him.

So much happens in this story.  The first part has so much world building that I really had to concentrate.  It was a lot to take in at times but I persevered.  The land of Fae is really involved and full of checks and balances, be careful what you agree to is the lesson learned.

Gwynn, apart from the lab rat doctor she was in her world, learns magic, how to curb her power, becomming a strong woman that one should not mess with.  It was great to see her growth.  But my favorite character is Rogue, without a doubt.  Such a complex character.

Overall I did enjoy this book.  It was very different and a unique approach to the Fae that I have yet to see in an urban fantasy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Question? Comments? Dirty Jokes?
Leave 'em here!
~Emmy @ Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews