Thursday, August 9, 2012

Review Time ~ The Ripple Effect

The Ripple Effect

(Rhiannon's Law #3)

By J.A. Saare

5 out of 5 STARS


There is always a price to pay…

Rhiannon Murphy visited the future, witnessed hell on earth and made choices to change things for the greater good. Unfortunately there are consequences for her actions, the penalties for her interference possibly more than she can bear. Determined to sever her debt with a fallen angel, she pushes everything aside, focusing on locating Marigold Vesta’s resting place.

Until death comes knocking at her door.

When Disco’s maker arrives in New York, he resents Rhiannon on a level she can’t begin to comprehend. Yet Marius isn’t her most dangerous adversary, not by a long shot. Marius’s sire -- a half-demon -- is determined to see the necromancer who stunned the vampire world on her knees. If she won’t bend, he’ll do everything in his power to make her break. No price is too high, meaning no one is safe -- including Disco and Paine.

Dealt a blow from which she can never recover, Rhiannon turns to the only person who can help her: the fallen angel who is relying on Rhiannon to save her soul. Bartering with a creature from Heaven is probably just as dangerous as starting a war with a demon from Hell, but with nothing to lose it’s no longer about life or death.

It’s about getting even.

Imagine my surprise when I found out what a crazy ride I was embarking upon in this 3rd installment of the Rhiannon's Law series.  The first two books marked very different journeys for Rhiannon since her life is always in a state of chaos.  With how The Renfield Syndrome ended, I knew that this book could take many turns and that ANY POSSIBLE SCENARIO I could guess still wouldn't come close to falling down this rabbit hole.

The character growth in this book was quite shocking.  Sure, I've always liked Rhiannon.  She's bad ass and independent but I actually was getting pissed at her in this book.  She was really rather selfish not thinking about how her choices affected those around her.  Goose really lays into her and I LOVED him for it.  She really needed some sense smacked in to her.  But certain things are revealed that made me think "Ohhhhh. OK.  I get it now."

Disco.  What can I say about him?  Besides the fact that it's hard for me to call him Gabriel when I first fell in love with him as Disco?  Um, dayum.  He does a complete 180 in this book.  Yes, we already know he is powerful but we never really saw how much so.  In this installment, we see how much power he can wield at any given moment.  Wow.  I was impressed.  But no, it doesn't stop there.  He's even more dominant and independent than ever.  I have never seen Disco take charge like this.  He's an Alpha for sure and I can't wait for this more aggressive and take charge Disco in Edge of Darkness.

Paine. Hmmm... Well, I love Paine.  My heart breaks for him.  He wants something he can't have and has no choice but to be surrounded by it.  Well yes, he does have a choice I suppose, and he makes a decision that leaves me baffled.  I really enjoyed his page time but I'm left wanting more of this enigmatic character.

Overall thoughts?  There are many aspects to this book that grow slowly but eventually meld together to jump this into hyper drive.  Shit hits the fan.  Rhiannon is trying to handle so much: a random serial killer targeting strippers, meeting Disco's sire Marius, trying to find Marigold's body, still bar-tending, finding new and unlikely allies...  But that's nothing compared to the last few chapters of this book.

Whoa.  This is one very dark and twisted ride.  Some of these situations are not for the faint of heart.  But once again I am amazed at the way JA Saare can tell a story.  Please, please, please continue this story!  I am engrossed with this world.

Now for some quotes:

A part of me wanted to run into his arms, hold him close, and never let go. Self preservation and terrifying memories made me want to kick him in the nuts and get as far away as possible. 

I slid between Disco and Paine, trying to pretend it was totally normal to be in the center of a manwich. Disco wrapped his arm around my shoulders, and Paine placed his hand on my thigh.
Okay. Awkward and definitely weird.

"You've been spying on me?"  I lowered the bag, sparks of desire turning to outrage.  Yes, I an idea he had member of the vampire family watching over me.  Learning that he was actuually involved, however, stoked my temper.
“I’ve been watching over you.”  
“Where I’m from, it’s the same thing. Stalking isn’t cool unless you’re an Edward.”

After all, ass was better kicked when you had Yoda moves and an arsenal at your disposal.
Just call me a Jedi ninja in training.

...So much for easygoing Disco.  I was stuck with the hard-edged Gabriel Trevellian from now on.

6 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC review... thanks to you, I am addicted to this series. To J.A. Saare-please, please let there be a couple more books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lise! And YES!!! *gets down on bent knees* Please Jamie continue this series!

      Delete
  2. I must admit that I was not going to read this book for several reasons, one being that I thought very bad things were going to happen to Disco. Your lovely review has changed my mind, Miss Emmy! Whenever I get a chance (ha!) I'm going to give this one a go.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your faith will be renewed Jamie! Disco is hot and in control.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I've never heard of this series before. It sounds like there's a lot going on w/the characters and plot. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

Question? Comments? Dirty Jokes?
Leave 'em here!
~Emmy @ Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews