Monday, September 17, 2012

Review ~ The Mighty Storm by Samantha Towle

The Mighty Storm

By Samantha Towle

4 out of 5 STARS


It's been twelve years since Tru Bennett last saw Jake Wethers, her former best friend and boy she once loved.

Jake Wethers, sexy, tattooed and deliciously bad lead singer, and brains behind The Mighty Storm, one of biggest bands in the world, left Tru with a broken heart when he moved from England to America with his family when they were both fourteen.

Sent to interview Jake for her music column by the magazine she works for, they are both unprepared for the sparks that fly the instant they reconnect. Only, there’s a complication to their instant feelings for one another – Will, Tru’s boyfriend of two years. 

Then Jake makes Tru a job offer she can't refuse - travelling the world with him and his band. But taking the job means leaving Will behind, and being on the road with the band means spending an inordinate amount of time with Jake. 

Is Tru strong enough to resist the delectable bad boy who once held her heart so completely, or will she willingly risk it all for one night with the worlds most notorious womanizer?


The Mighty Storm follows Trudy "Tru" Bennett on her journey as a music journalist for Etiquette Magazine.  Twelve years ago, her best friend left to move to America with his mom and step-dad.  Having lost touch, Tru is thrown into the position of interviewing her friend, Jake Wethers, as the lead singer and guitarist for the band The Mighty Storm.  

This is a pretty good book.   We see a nervous Tru around a confident, sometimes arrogant Jake.  Tru ends up taking an offer that lands her in the position to tour with the band for the next several weeks.  Trouble is, Tru has her boyfriend Will to consider as she finds her mixed feelings getting even more confused in the presence of a very charming, seductive and caring Jake.  Jake can be very persuasive...

"Where did you learn to dance like this?" I ask, forcing my voice to work, as I try to focus my mind on anything but the feel of his body up against mine, as Beyonce's vocals continue to aid my mental and physical assault over my need for Jake.
"The Bedroom."
Bedroom.  Bed.  Jake in my bed.  Naked.Focus Tru, focus."Is that a dance school?"
I really couldn't imagine Jake going to dance class; it doesn't really fit him.
"No, Tru."  He stares down at me, blue eyes piercing.  "In. The. Bedroom."
"Oh."


I really enjoyed this though it got a little repetitive at times.  I very much liked Jake but Tru could be annoying.  She's funny at first, then head games take place and she's back and forth like a yo-yo.  And seriously?  Something happens where I just don't understand how she reacted.  I do not approve of that message.

But back to Jake...  He's hot, has tattoos, is uber sweet and caring, talented and just all around seems like a really cool guy.  Does he have issues to work out and does he make mistakes?  Hell yes, but he owns up to them and never tried to hide his true intentions or weasel his way into Tru's life.  He does have skill and is a smooth operator but I liked him instantly.  He has genuine feelings for her and is honest.  Here's a snippet to just get a little idea of what this rockstar looks like...

When I glance up I see a pair of black Converse approaching me.
Eyes up to the black jeans, reaching the sleeveless, vintage '94 Nine Inch Nails 'Downward Spiral' T-shirt, with a guitar strapped tight across it, the instantly recognisable tattoos on full show, to finally meet with Jake's face.

There are some minor spelling errors throughout, I got past it though and enjoyed the vernacular the author uses.  Example...

He looks up at my approach and the second my eyes meet with his, whatever sense I had just talked myself into, packs its bags and fucks off, leaving me to the mercy of my hormones.

A conversation takes place between Jake and Tru about what song they would pick as there life soundtrack.  Jake picks Nine Inch Nails Hurt which starts a great conversation about different interpretations of the song and the Johnny Cash version.  I loved that whole conversation but don't want to quote it.  That would be too much of a spoiler.

Overall?  Great story, good writing, good characters (except Tru at times), and STEAMY HOT SEX!  This is definitely a romance with the extra bonus of a hot rockstar.

The Mighty Storm available on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question? Comments? Dirty Jokes?
Leave 'em here!
~Emmy @ Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews