Friday, May 18, 2012

Review time! ~ On Demon Wings and an announcement

On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror #5)

By Karina Halle

My Rating ~ 5 for 5!!! (or if this was Spinal Tap, I would say this one goes to 11)



When the life you wanted has crumbled beneath your fingers, there’s nothing left to do but pick up the pieces and soldier on. You’ve done this before.

But what happens when you no longer feel like yourself anymore? When fires spontaneously start-up around you, when you hear growling coming from underneath your bed, and you no longer recognize your face in the mirror. What happens then?

Ghost-hunter Perry Palomino doesn’t have much time to find out. Now, the evil she used to hunt is a lot closer to home. It’s inside of her, taking over her life bit-by-terrifying bit, and there’s only one person who can help her. 

On Demon Wings picks up roughly 3 months after the events of Lying Season.  Miss Halle has done a wonderful job at the get go with the intro of a dream for this installment.  I was pleasantly shocked that something so ballsy could happen and to think you never know what to expect in this series.  Perry has yet again gone through some major life changes.  Career, friends, health...  She is not the same girl we are first introduced to in Darkhouse.  Perry is coping but not easily when her world takes another turn for the worse.  Health issues and an unwanted visitor.  

One of my favorite things about this book is the improved relationship between Perry and Ada.  The sisters share a good amount of page time and I'm glad little fifteen is there for Perry. 
“You’re not my friend?” I asked wryly. 
She stuck her tongue out at me. “Only because I have to be. Bound by blood and all that.”  
I couldn’t help but smile.
Maximus is also back in the picture.  It seems like a good thing at first but we don't know the real Maximus and I don't really trust him.  Her parents are another cringe worthy story.  If you don't have parental support then what do you have?  We see a new side to Mr. and Mrs. Palomino along with some long awaited answers.  Ugh I feel so bad for Perry.  What she's going through and feeling so alone in this.  
“You,” I started to say but my mouth flapped shut. And my eyes closed. Somewhere far away I heard my mother whisper, “Sorry.”
This book is a rollercoaster of emotions.  Terrifying heights, the feeling of the floor being dropped from beneath you, the lowest of lows.  AND SPIDERS!  I HATE SPIDERS!  The horrific encounters she faced were enough for me to not want to read too late at night.  I was outside around midnight reading on my kindle when I heard screaming in the surrounding neighborhood.  LOL.  It was a drunk guy but it made me jump in my seat nonetheless.

The last 30% of this book moves very fast.  Situations are escalated and help comes from unlikely places.  Dex has some great page time and gives me hope for future installments.

He reached over and stroked my hand gently. His touch made gooseflesh appear on my arm. “It’s true. I’m not trying to scare you. In fact, you’re the one who’s scaring me. As usual. But we have to go. Will you come with me?”
The ending was just crazy.  Oh.My.Word.  Fantastic.  For a book 5 in a series, I am still hanging on every written word, can't get enough.  Some series after so long can get stagnant and that is not the case here .  I'll repeat.  You really don't know where the story is going next and I'm thrilled to find something new that has captured my attention so thoroughly.  Though there is a cliffhanger, the ending left me satisfied and I'm glad to have some of the mysteries that have popped up since Darkhouse answered.

I wrap up my review with a personal favorite quote from Dex:

“Perry,” he said quietly, his fingers trailing down the side of my face, “you’ll never have to save my life. You gave me life. I never lived a single day until the day I first met you.”


Next up in the Experiment in Terror series? Old Blood  a novella featuring Pippa followed by the next full length I'm anxiously waiting for Into the Hollow.  

Want more? Check out:
Experiment in Terror
Experiment in Terror Facebook
MetalBlonde on Twitter


I'm excited to announce that Karina Halle will be doing a guest post here at Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews in the near future. Stay tuned!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Question? Comments? Dirty Jokes?
Leave 'em here!
~Emmy @ Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews