Saturday, June 9, 2012

Review ~ The Theory of Attraction

The Theory of Attraction

By Delphine Dryden

4 of 5 STARS



Camilla can set her watch by her hunky rocket-scientist neighbor who jogs past her window each day. She relishes each glimpse of his shirtless abs, and is dying to see more. But it’s hard to connect with a man who doesn’t seem to know she exists…

Ivan feels at home in the lab, not in social situations. When he finally approaches his attractive neighbor, it’s not for a date—he wants tutoring in how to behave at an important fundraiser. Ivan doesn’t expect the chemistry between them to be quite so explosive, and is surprised when Cami actually accepts his proposal to embark on a series of “lessons”.

Cami soon discovers Ivan’s schedule isn’t the only thing he likes to be strict about—he needs to be charge in the bedroom as well. She’s shocked at how much she comes to enjoy her submissive side, but wonders if a real relationship is in the equation…



This 47,000 word story has a publish date of July 9th through Carina Press.  I was lucky enough to get and ARC through Netgalley and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this.

For being a shorter story, we get just enough background information so we are not thrown into the middle of the plot.  The above synopsis gives a great preview of what to expect.  Camilla has her lesson plans figured out but somehow the Evil Genius is not what she expects, and soon we don't know whom is teaching whom a lesson.
"You're already pretending to be my date.  So focus on that part.  Are you going to be a boyfriend?  Or are you going to be some guy who is hoping to get... um, get me to go out a second time?" 
The Friday evening traffic occupied his attention for a few minutes before he finally answered.  "Were you going to say 'laid' and then changed your mind?" 
Crap, so much for subtle.  "Yep." 
"That one.  I'll be that one."

We watch while the introverted Professor learns social skills while seeing a completely different side of him in the bedroom.  He's dominant, demanding yet rewarding and surprisingly tender at times.  He's not so awkward and doesn't have such a rigid scholarly approach to situations.  Soon they are interacting more than just through lesson plans or in the bedroom.
Sense memories of you persist and do not seem to abate as the day progresses.  It's disconcerting, Camilla. I don't like it when my mind plays tricks on me.  I would much rather have you here in the flesh, to feel and taste and smell with my actual senses.  Instead my mind keeps conjuring this false perception of your presence.  I think it means I miss you.

While the plot is captivating, the intimate moments are scorching!  The D/s relationship is done well though I wonder if it progressed too fast.  Nah, it was hot to read. ;)
Evil.  Pure, unadulterated evil, this man was.  His voice and hands were clearly agents of some dark, seductive force that caused me to do things I would normally never have considered.  Because when he said all that, it sounded like the best idea in the world.  Really, I could hardly wait.  

This was a quick read and I highly recommend it for anyone wanting a naughty but nice afternoon read.
Delicate petals
Flow open to receive me
Sweetest kiss of all

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question? Comments? Dirty Jokes?
Leave 'em here!
~Emmy @ Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews